JOB TITLE: Classroom Aide, Seasonal Part Time
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt Position
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Head Education Coordinator / Center Based Teacher
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: None
SALARY RANGE: Grade 7
CLOSES: March 30, 2018 3pm
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
A GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
This position assists the Center Based Teacher and Assistant Teacher to maintain a safe, healthy and attractive learning environment for all of the children. They will assist children in such physical tasks as putting on and taking off outerwear, movement, lavatory use, eating and other appropriate tasks. They will provide physical and emotional help and guidance for special needs children as well as being accessible to all of the children.
- Knowledge and abilities are typically acquired through a combination of education and experience equivalent to a high school diploma and some experience with preschool children is preferred.
- Must have a High School diploma or equivalent.
- Ability to relate well to, coordinate and communicate effectively with staff members and with children/families of low income and varied backgrounds.
- Ability to assist Teacher and Assistant Teacher in providing a developmentally appropriate classroom setting for Head Start children.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds, bend, stoop, sit on floor and other activities as they pertain to working with preschool aged children.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS INCLUDE:
While performing the duties of this job the employee’s physical demands include: standing, walking and sitting for extended periods of time; hearing, seeing (including color vision), lifting and carrying up to 50 pounds, climbing, crouching, speaking, handling, pushing, and pulling.
Planning and Setting Goals:
- Assist teacher in maintaining a safe, clean, healthy, attractive learning environment for all children.
- Assist all children with physical tasks as putting on and taking off outer wear, moving from room to room, using the lavatory, eating and other appropriate tasks.
- Guide and help special needs children in their curriculum pursuits, centers circle time and meals.
- Accompany children and assist the teacher during emergency drills, field trips and other activities.
- Assist the teacher in providing a developmentally appropriate environment to enhance the child’s physical, social, emotional and cognitive development.
- Accept guidance of the teacher in overseeing daily activities.
- Attend all staff meetings; and trainings when requested.
- Participate in evaluation of self and the Head Start program.
- Promote effective communication and cooperation with staff and Head Start families.
- Maintain strict confidentiality relating to school information, including student, family and staff information.
- Serve as an advocate for Head Start and Action for Eastern Montana and promote positive public relations by community involvement.
- Have means of transportation and freedom to travel as required by job duties and/or training.
- Other Functions:
- All related duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Have PPD (TB subdermal tine test) or acquire upon hire.
- Have first aide and CPR training or acquire same upon hire.
Scope/depth of client services:
- Work with approximately 18-20 children and their families.
G. Length of Position: Depend upon availability of Head Start program funding.